Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Miracle of a different kind

When we think of miracles, we typically think of someone being healed of something, a stray person coming to know the Lord, financial blessing at just the right time..., but I don't think we rejoice enough in this type of miracle or really even give it much voice...

Tonight my husband came down after spending time putting the kids to bed, while I sat resting for a few minutes at the computer, and he said, "Are you reading blogs? I hate coming downstairs after putting the kids to bed and having to spend time cleaning the kitchen when I just want to sit down and rest."

Now for all of you out there who don't know me well, I spend all day every day on my feet mostly cooking, cleaning, schooling, disciplining, breaking up fights, refereeing arguments, attempting to train good behavior, changing diapers, running up and down the stairs, more disciplining, and more similar activities... chasing after 4 kids 4 and 1/2 years apart (wishing I could fit a run in to keep me sane) ... While my husband, sweet man that he is, sits at a desk all day, except for the break he takes at lunch to run 3-4 miles while listening to his ipod, and drives in a quiet car to and from work listening to sermons or music, or just sits in silence sometimes praying...

Now I do not know why I responded this way, but in the past you probably would have seen fire come out of my eyes with that comment, and an argument or anger or coldness that would have lasted well into the night and possibly a few days with the expectation of sincere groveling and penance. But tonight, when he said that, I sat there for a second, then quietly got up and began cleaning the kitchen. Even while it was happening I felt like it was an out of body experience. I thought, "Why am I doing this? Why didn't I say anything. What is wrong with me?" And then it hit me, and I wanted to leap out of my skin and throw a party. Something in my "spirit" took over in that situation and I did the right thing!!!! I responded to my husband with respect and honor. I honestly cannot ever remember responding like that in any similar situation. And then I thought, "We can go to France!!!!"

One thing that has been on my heart for the past year is that a bad tree cannot bear good fruit, and a good tree cannot bear bad fruit, basically meaning, what is inside comes out when we are put under pressure, and I can assure you that alot has come out of me these past 10 years of marriage that is not good. And I have been very broken and have spent much time in prayer and in scripture about it this this past year... and I just saw the first fruits of my labor... and wow it was beautiful.

So the reason I share this is not because I want you to think my husband is a jerk, because he is not (I will share what he did for our 10th anniversary). I think God just has to allow us to go through things sometimes to show us we need to grow more because there is something bad on the inside. Or he wants to show us that we have broken a bondage that we have been under, and now when put under pressure good comes out.

Tonight I saw a miracle of a different kind, and it was beautiful.

2 comments:

Ken Witcher said...

At this time I have no comment.
My public relations department is preparing an official response that will be made public in the very near future.

-Husband

Amy said...

Haha, Ken is too cute!

Thanks for sharing what God is doing in your life. It's always amazing to see how God can transform us when we allow Him to!

Did you get the invitation to the wifestry blog? I emailed it to, you but I'm not sure if I emailed it to an account you still use? It was an email address I had from like a year ago. Email me and let me know if you didn't.