Thursday, March 20, 2008

God meets us where we are...

In light of Easter, and the story of a Savior that came to earth and met us where we are in our humanity and sin... I am going to share a story from one of my favorite bloggers, Heidi. This story reminds me of how many hurting people are out there, sometimes just right next door to us, or standing next to us in the grocery line, or maybe working in the next cubicle over. I want to be as faithful as Heidi in building those relationships where God can use me to change, if only, just one life.

Many years ago, I met a young woman in the Navy, her name was Christi. We became roommates and she was from Georgia , We used to laugh about how she talked so funny, but between her mom’s cookies that she sent and the laughter we shared we became close.

One thing that separated us was our different lifestyles. She loved to party and to drink. But I knew that Christi in her way was covering up a load of past that she had been carrying.

So because of our different lifestyles we grew apart and lost touch.

About a year ago, she found me. We kept very touch and go emails throughout the summer until she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September. Than the emails came weekly. She would always ask me about my life which involves family, church, and my God. I told her all the details. But I never knew if she heard me, because our conversation always went back to her partying days and her somewhat horrific past.

Christi has never been a believer, eventhough her parents were deacons at their church and begged and begged for years!

Christi was defiant and angry.

A month ago, an email came and Christi wanted one thing, “ Simply stated, Family and friends, if I can see my daughter turn 1 than I might talk about your God” love Christi

That was the entire email.

This morning I recieved an email from her mom:

Her daughter Faith, turn one this week, she celebrated her first cake in her mom’s hospital room in Macon, Georgia. Although Christi had no energy to do anything else, she held her daughter, laughed and played Barbies on top of her bed.

She Had Kept Her Promise…..

Christi accepted Jesus into her heart that evening in the presence of the family pastor and her parents and family.

In the email it continues:

”Christi lost her battle with pancreatic cancer… that very next morning.

But …..

We as a family rejoice…

She Had Kept Her Promise…..”

1 comment:

Patience Leino said...

I saw you this morning at church too & definitely wanted to give you a huge hug! I miss seeing your smiling face. You should know...you looked beautiful this morning. Thank you for continuing to think of us & remembering our sweet Isaac. Easter has a whole new meaning now. Because of Jesus & His resurrection, we'll all be able to spend eternity with our sweet boy, worshipping the God who did miracles in his life forever.

Love you, girl!