Friday, August 11, 2006

As I have sat here many days trying to conjure up something profound to write I decided to read some of the blogs my husband reads. I am not sure how to make links from my blog yet (I am a little computer illiterate...my husband keeps me in the 21st century), but when I do, I will put some of these links on my blog page. The blog I read this morning was evotional.com by Mark Patterson of National Community Church in Washington, DC.

We fell in love with him when we saw a spoof on his websight on "Riverdance". It was great, especially since Ken & I had just seen Riverdance for the first time. Since then we have met him and visited his church which meets in 3 locations in DC; two theatres and a coffee house. We became more and more interested in his ministry seeing that this may be how we find places in France to meet in large groups and to reach people where they are at. It's an amazing concept.

Anyway, that is not the reason I am blogging about him. If you read his most recent blog he talks about being in Gelapagos. I am not even sure where that is, so I am going to have to look it up... but he says it feels like he is at the end of the earth. It is also a place that has no church and no access to the gospel.

It really got me thinking since I have a heart for this type of people, but I find myself going to France... who God has now given me the same type of burden. These people have access to the Gospel, but they don't see that it has any relevance whatsoever to their life.

For example let's say there is a college in my town that has a class on Mideival History. Why in the world would I want to take the class and learn about it? I hate history, or I should say never did well in history in school. Now if there began a "buzz" in the marketplace about this class and how fun it was and how the information was changing their lives, it would make me want to go check it out.

So my question is who are the unreached? Just because Christianity is in their history, and it is not illegal to sell Bibles in their country... if you cannot get them to look at it, are they not just as unreached as those in Muslim countries? It's all about relevance. If we don't present the Gospel in a relevant way in Europe, as well as Asia and the Middle East and other similar areas, are we not sending a generation of Europe to hell saying you have access to Scripture so you're on your own?

That is why I am so excited that God has chosen me to go to France. In this I see his love for these people and His desire to reach anyone who will respond to him whether they have access or not.

No comments: