Sunday, August 27, 2006

I haven't mentioned children's cup (ChildrensCup.org) in a few blogs and would like to bring some light to it. It is the 26th day of praying for the children of Africa and the ministries working with them; especially those children with aids who are typically orphaned and don't have enough food. It is so easy to live on this side of the world and forget of the suffereing so many children and adults live on a daily basis. We just have no idea. I often read about the suffering of people in third world countries or watch a special on T.V. and just cry and cry, but what have I done about it? I can turn my computer off, or T.V. off, or close my magazine and forget about it 15 seconds later as I deal with the "cares" of my own life which is usually something like dealing with my children who are fighting over the 1 millionth toy that they own.

Am I really broken about what I see, or do I just not want to have to see it? We as Americans have this incredible ability to live life in a vaccume. If I just don't want to be reminded of these tragedies that go on, I just say a short prayer, cry a few tears, and turn my T.V. off. But if I really care, why don't I give to someone God has called to go, or give to an organization that provides food for these people? And then as the Bible says, "where you treasure is there your heart will be also." Therefore, because I give I will be reminded to pray for the people and organizations who help them.

We all need to put ourselves in the position of these children we see on T.V. or read about. First of all I can't imagine being an orphan; not feeling the love of a parent who feeds and cares for and protects you. Have you ever had just a bowlful of oatmeal a day for a few days, and then imagine that for months and years; or eating leaves off of trees and drinking muddy water because that's all there is? Have you ever heard a baby cry because they are hungry, and then imagine that cry until they cannot cry anymore because they are dying. I was reminded of this when I breastfed my last three children and did not produce enough milk for them most of the time; especially if I was out and did not have a backup milk supply. It was very frustrating to feel helpless to provide for my child and I thought of mothers in places like Africa, and cried for them imagining how helpless they felt in not being able to feed their children.

Just imagine... and then do something!! There are so many good organizations out there ministering both physically and spiritually to these people. Find one today! Don't let another minute go by where we ignore what we cannot see. If that were you or your child wouldn't you want someone to help?

1 comment:

Jean Ohlerking said...

gina...thanks for your insightful words.

yes, it's hard to watch those tv reports about people--especially kids--who are suffering so. and without hope...

but if we are all faithful to do what God has set before each of us, the job can be done!

we will be anxious to see how your new ministry in France develops. and we will be praying for you.

jean