Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Best Santa Ever

As my kids and I stood there in line after the local Christmas parade, we were waiting to see Santa at the local park under the large gazebo. I was hoping to get a picture since the local mall had made talking to Santa a portrait studio and actually banned people from taking their own pictures... okay that is another story...

...But as I stood there this situation seemed to be different. I began watching Santa like people watch celebrities and I was very intrigued by him. Now to preface all this, my husband and I have struggled a little bit trying to decide what we wanted to say to our kids about Santa. When our oldest child began to come of age where he "understood" who Santa was, I felt like I was lying when we talked about Santa. When I was growing up though, I loved Jesus... but I also loved "playing" Santa (even though I didn't know we were playing at the time). It didn't change my view of Christ or cloud what I thought Christmas was. I knew it was celebrating the birth of Christ at Christmas time... I just loved waking up to a surprise Christmas morning.

With all that said, my 4 kids and I were standing in line (dad was out of town) in the freezing cold. The line was extremely slow moving. It seemed like it was taking forever... but I noticed as I was rubber necking at Santa, that with each child he took as much time as he thought they needed to feel comfortable and really listened to them. He asked them about school, or a brother or sister standing nearby, or sports they were involved in, and then he would ask them specifically about what they wanted and and detailed questions to get more specific answers. "Mrs. Clause" would help with the kids that were scared of this big fat hairy man who wanted them to sit on his lap. Santa would finally ask them what their favorite cookie was and tell them not to forget to leave some out for him Christmas Eve. He and "Mrs. Clause" sat there and took pictures or waited for parents to video, just really loving on people the whole time.

With one family, though, I saw something I have never seen before. Santa actually got up and hugged a few of the grownups that had brought their child to see "Santa". It was obvious they knew this man when he wasn't "Santa", and both he and one of the young men were wiping tears from their eyes. It seemed as if "Santa" was hugging someone who had lost a loved one. It even took "Santa" a few minutes to compose himself to get back to the children. He then went on to spend just as much time with every child making them feel like they were the first child to see him that day. He even got my 7 year old who has alot of anxiety in these types of situations to sit beside him and talk with him for at least 5 minutes.

I have to say He, Santa, was absolutely amazing. He made me wonder if I took this kind of time with the people I came across in my life. I reminded me of what I think Christ would be like if He were walking on this earth today. I made me wonder if I am very much like Christ. I don't know any Santas that have ever made me think of Christ, but this one made me evaluate my life. He made me, even as an adult, "believe" in Santa. Hey maybe I'll have a surprise waiting for me beside the fireplace when I wake up Christmas morning. :-)

1 comment:

Enjoying Life Together said...

What parade were you at? My best guess is that "Santa's" real name is Jim Dyer, a coporate chaplain in the area. He keeps a beard year-round and loves playing the Santa part. If the other kids and family were who I think they may have been, I'll fill you in on the story another time. Their daddy (another corporate chaplain) went home to be with Jesus this past Sunday though after a long battle with cancer. ~Sabrina