Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Life Lived Radically for Christ... what does that look like?

Wow, tonight was amazing...

We went to church thinking we were going to have a great time of praise and worship, listen to a great message from our new pastor, chat with a few people, meet a few others, and go home... but what we got was God showing up and about 15 people got baptized to profess to the world that they are followers of Him. Now to preface this story... this is our "new" church (Journey Church in Raleigh, NC) at their 2nd ever Saturday night service. There were probably 150 in attendance. They run about 500 in two services Sunday morning.

The service started with awesome worship... and then Jimmy unveiled what looked a little like a tall large bathtub or maybe a coffin. In actuality it was a large "bathtub like" contraption that a minister can baptize people in without getting wet. Anyway, Jimmy spoke on "Stepping Out" and showing the world, just like you might wear a teams Jersey or put a bumper sticker on your car supporting something you believed in, that you are a follower of Christ. Both because Jesus did it as an example for us to follow, and also to exemplify our dying to ourselves (our old sinful nature that controls us) and being raise in the newness of Christ (in everything beautiful and perfect and right). Now we know we will never be perfect, but in those moments that we turn everything over to God... when we stop before we speak or act, and cry out to God for help and repentance... when we don't do what our human nature is screaming like it's dying within us to do... that is when Christ shows up and and can do the greatest miracles in us, in someone else, or in the most bleak situations.

I have read about and admired and have known a few people like this in my life. I have watched quietly and taken notes and wondered what they experience when they sit still with Christ. I have sat from a distance and wondered how they got to be where they are. I have sat quietly with my heart aching to be like that...

but all I know now is that I just pray
with everything of Christ that is within me
that I will become like this someday.
I have always wanted to change the world,
but I have never wanted to do it for some sort of vain glory.
I don't even care if anyone knows.
I just want the world to be radically different because I let Christ
live out His life in me.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Gina...love the post. Let me clarify something....you guys are no longer at C3 (or is it 3C?)??

the 'r' word was used in an AWESOME conversation that Jack started back in October....and the best is yet to come. So may prayers were answered that night. (i'll be sharing more next year)

when Jack got up to go to work he asked if I was feeling okay. I said yes...it's history in the making! Well, maybe! And reality is this: I would MUCH rather volunteer at the church on Sunday's than to watch ANY sport! Jesus first!

And I thought you liked me for my passion for Jesus! :))))

Happy New Year to you and your family!
Jane