Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bangor, Maine and Children's Cup

Bangor, Maine

Well today I leave on a jet plane for Maine. I have never been to Maine, but I hear it's beautiful and I am very excited to visit. The Masters Track & Field national championship is there in Bangor and I will be running the 2000m steeplechase (a 5 & 1/2 lap around a track with five 30in. wooden barriers you have to hurdle, and one that you jump up on and then attempt to jump over a water pit). You can go to my hubby's blog to get an idea what a barrier looks like. He also put a post up today about the race.

I also have two very close friends that live in Maine; one from college, and one from our former France team. I told my husband the other day that I feel like I am going up there just to see them, and the meet was just the instrument to get me there. Pray for my time with my friends that I would be able to be an encouragement to them. Pray for me also as I run on Friday around noon. I just want to compete well and meet some new people who may have never have met Jesus.

40 Days of Prayer for Children's Cup

Today is also the first day of 40 days of prayer for the children. This is a prayer focus put on by Children's Cup. Children's Cup is an organization that was founded in 1992 that now serves the love of Christ to over 4,000 orphans and vulnerable children in Africa through a growing network of CarePoints. The goal of Children's Cup is to making true and lasting change in entire communities where AIDS, extreme poverty and disease threaten to destroy the lives of hundreds of thousands. "We offer them hope. And hope's name is Jesus."

You can read more and sign up to join us in prayer for the children at www.childrenscup.org.

2 comments:

Jean Ohlerking said...

Thanks for the shout-out for 'Cup.

And I hope you do well in your race! I've never been to Maine either, one of the very few states I've never visited. So I'm a wee bit jealous over your visit--but not the race. I'd rather peddle my stationary bike for exercise or run with the grandkids.

Blessings!

Beth said...

Hi Gina
I found your blog today after receiving your newsletter in the mail. My grandmother was born in Maine, and I grew up in Massachusetts and have visited ME a few times. It is a beautiful place! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there.
I look forward to following your family's journey through your blog. You can find mine at www.nclighthousekeeper.blogspot.com
<><
Beth H.