Monday, January 14, 2008

What kind of faith do you have?

In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:6-9 English Standard Version)

This is a short version from a pastor's blog I follow and where God has been working in me for a while... and I can truly say I am on my way back to #3 on this list, not because I have arrived or am more spiritual than anyone else... but only because I have refused to (as Joyce Meyers says) "go around that mountain one more time." I love it when she says God doesn't let you fail tests, he just lets you keep taking them until you pass. So... what kind of faith do you have?

Difficult experiences test us. They test our endurance, our resourcefulness and even our faith.

Consider for a moment what might be discovered about the condition of our faith life:

(1) Do you have “fair weather faith?”

This kind of faith operates fine as long as things are going well. Some people approach religion like a business deal. It’s like they enter into a contract with God and as long as He keeps up His end of deal–blessing, peace, joy etc., they will keep up their part of the deal–worship, service, offerings etc.


(2) Do you have “foul weather faith?”

Their motto is: “When my life is in a mess, I’ll call upon the Lord!” They only call upon the Lord when they’re afraid, and once things settle down they forget about Him. They think the Lord is for emergency use only.

(3) Or do you have “all weather faith.”

A person who possesses an all-weather faith says, “Whatever happens, I will trust the Lord.” All weather faith says, “Come rain or shine, hell or high water, pain or pleasure, good or bad, I’m going to praise the name of the Lord.”

That’s the kind of faith Job had. In Job 1:21 we read what Job said after he learned of the death of his children. “The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” Later in the book, when he was suffering physically and being scorned by his friends he said this about the Lord, “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him.” (Job 13:15)

What kind of faith do you have?

No comments: