Thursday, June 07, 2007

Comments on "The Birth of Catalyst France"

Recently someone responded to a post I had put up and my husband and I wanted to respond. It was two comments from England on "The Birth of Catalyst France". The comments said,

May 26, 2007 7:51 PM

Anonymous said...
I am all about the teachings of Christ and religion but why did you decided to do this in France ? Did they ask you to ? It seems like the French have a great sense of religion and spirituality already . I know most of them are Catholics and I go there alot and have French friends so I am just curious to your choice .


June 2, 2007 10:59 AM
Deborah said...
Yes, may God Bless you, but I question the need for planting churches in, of all places, France. But, look, if it works out for you to get to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, then I applaud you for figuring out a way to do it. Especially if you are supported by the ministry financially! Brilliant! Also, I hope the children do well with the move, but since you are quite consumed by them, and who wouldn't be at their tender ages, I'm sure it will be just fine. But, please remember, Catholics do know Jesus Christ: he is the focus of the Church. Thanks.


My husband and I wanted to respond:

June 2, 2007 6:08 PM
Ken Witcher said...

Anonymous and Deborah,While it may seem like the French have a good sense of religion and spirituality and that many of them claim to be Catholics, the reality is that only about 6-8% of the population claim to attend any kind of church on a regular basis. France also ranks highest in a recent survey of people who never or almost never attend church.

We are not coming to France to reach the Catholics. We are coming to reach those who have no church experience and no desire to attend church as they perceive it. Most churches function in a historically cultural way that young people don't connect with. We plan to start a church that speaks the language of the younger (20-30s') generation and deals with the issues they are facing.

People are looking for answers and for meaning. We know that Jesus offers those, but we have failed to communicate in ways that new generations understand.We have shared this plan with young people we met on the streets in France and they were all very excited and wanted to attend.

June 7, 2007 7:32 AM
Gina Witcher / Runnermom4 said...

Anonymous & Daborah,I would hope to get to meet you someday and share more about why we chose France and why we believe, from going there and talking to French people and seeing the statistics of depression and the amount of antidepressants they take (it is the highest in the world) there is a desperation for something spiritual.

Also after talking with many French people and sharing that we wanted to plant a relevant exciting church, where you can wear flip flops and jeans, that shares how the Bible is relevant to their internal happiness and practical everyday issues, and feels more like a youth concert than church, every single one of them said, "I would go to a church like that", and some even gave us their emails to contact them when we return.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I'm with you two in prayer.You are going to do great things for France...I so wish there was a church like this in my hometown in NY. My family needs what this type of church offers.
I love you guys and your munchkins too. Hey--how do you say munchkins in french??

Paul & Angela Jenkins said...

You guys both respond in a excellent and factual way. Having been to France myself I have seen and understand everything you talked about. The most important reason being most people my age and younger have never been to church. Keep the faith!