Saturday, June 30, 2007

Thomas & Nikki - June 30, 2007

Well, today my baby brother is getting married. Our family is so excited for him!

When my brother was in college God spared his life in a car accident. After hitting a car head on on the drivers side, he was cut out of his car and life flighted to Duke, one of the best hospitals in the U.S. He should have probably died or lost his left leg, but there just happened to be a doctor there that specialized with this type of injury. After may surgeries, Thomas was brought back to almost 100% health.

After this accident he sort of wandered when it came to life and ambition. He always had great friends that stuck by his side for many years and my brother and his friends taught me alot about friendship. After 911 my brother joined the army and, knowing my brother, I thought this is going to be the biggest mistake of his life. Didn't he realize that you have to get up before noon, and you can't just quit if you wake up one morning and didn't want to do this anymore.

Surprisingly the army was the best thing that ever happened to him. He thrived in the army moving up rank very quickly with all of his superiors loving him. He chose air defense as his specialty area, which I thought, "Doesn't he realize this means shooting at the enemy, and to do this you have to be near the enemy, which means risk of being killed..." He then got a cush job driving around a Sgt. Major in Korea, where he would drive his superior somewhere, and then sit around and socialize with whoever was around or read a book. I thought, "Way to go Thomas! You're the only one I know who can take a serious dangerous kind of job and make it into a fun social time. (Have I ever told you my brother and I are alot alike) :-)

He also survived a year in Iraq (praise the Lord!), came home, struggled to find himself (which I hear alot of people in combat zones do), seem to come back to earth, started dating a girl, she broke his heart (which I thought, "oh, no here we go again.") and then a week later he met Nikki... It's amazing how God was so perfect in his timing.

Nikki is alot like me, except for the type A personality. She does the job at a highschool that I use to do working with kids with minor learning disabilities, and we are just good friends. In my family growing up, all the women love to shop, and well I would rather watch football on Saturdays, or go on a long run, or hang out with friends, or just be outside. Therefore the women in the family just don't get me...but Nikki does. We just suit each other and she loves on my kids, something my kids don't get much of in my family being the last grandchildren.

She is so perfect and it really shows who God is when you have prayed for someone so long and you finally see the perfect answer to so many years of prayers.

Congratuations Thomas & Nikki!! I love you both and am so excited for you!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm that type of be outside girl and could care less about shopping. I stick out like a sore thumb in my family too!

What an answer to prayer Nikki sounds like. Marriage is such an awesome gift. God sure seemed to guide them together at just the right time!

He's awesome like that, isn't He?!

Paul & Angela Jenkins said...

I can relate to you as well. I was always hanging with the guys and playing sports. I didn't even know how to paint my nails until I needed to get married. haha

Where's the wedding pictures. I'd LOVE to see what they look like.